Russia by Private Train Onboard The Golden Eagle Trans-Mongolian Express Eastbound featuring the Naadam Festival.
The Naadam Festival is the one and only Big Event in Mongolia – a lively national festival, held every year in July. Naadam means “three manly games” and is often referred to as the world’s second-oldest Olympics, it celebrates the definition of civilization in the Steppes eight centuries ago; archery, wrestling and horse riding. The competitors in the riding events are all children aged between five and twelve, many of whom have been in the saddle since the age of one. As they race along the plains for 20kms, thousands of spectators line the remote track to watch up to 650 children sitting confidently astride their small but sturdy Mongolian steeds. It is claimed that such equestrian skills won Genghis Khan an empire that stretched from the Sea of Japan all the way to Europe.
In recent times, women have been allowed to enter and they now compete in two of the three events, horse racing and archery. Once a religious ceremony, the festival now formally commemorates the 1921 revolution when Mongolia declared itself a free country.
This is a unique opportunity to be among the few non-Mongolians to experience this spectacular but little known festival and soak up the exciting atmosphere of this national holiday. The journey combines the Naadam Festival with an amazing overland journey from Moscow on board the Golden Eagle Trans-Siberian Express private train.
One (1) night at the Ritz Carlton Moscow; Tax and Buffet Breakfast included daily.
Golden Eagle, Trans Siberian Express
One Silver or Gold Class Cabin or Imperial Suite for Eight (8) nights on board the Golden Eagle Trans Siberian Express.
Three (3) nights at the Kempinski (or similar); Tax and Buffet Breakfast included daily.
The Tour Includes:
- All meals on board the train.
- Wine, beer and soft drinks provided with Lunch and Dinner.
- Experienced tour representatives throughout the tour.
- Russian Interpreters able to speak English, German, French and Italian.
- Comprehensive off-train sightseeing program as detailed in the itinerary. Please note that all touring is with fellow-passengers at all times.
- A doctor who travels with the train throughout the tour.
- Complimentary tea, coffee and mineral water throughout the tour from your car attendant.
The Tour Does Not Include:
- Travel cancellation insurance.
- Charges of a personal nature on the train or at the hotels (laundry, telephone, bar account, etc.)
- Visas (as required) or Excess Baggage Charges, Airport Departure Taxes, Vaccination or Medical Costs.
Options and Extensions:
Please contact Exeter International for tour extensions and options in Russia. All tour extensions are on a private customized basis.
Trip Departure Date:
July 1-13, 2019 (Eastbound)
July 10-22, 2019 (Westbound)
July 1-13, 2020 (Eastbound)
July 10-22, 2020 (Westbound)
Download a PDF itinerary here.